Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vegetable Garden


We decided to start a vegetable garden this year! I am sooo excited because it has been something that I wanted to do, but you know how it is, sometimes you don't get around to doing it. So when Patrick suggested it, I was thrilled! He built a small garden next to the play house so it can be the girls' project as well. They really enjoyed helping. And in fact, Saige was so excited, that she couldn't nap and just got up and walked outside the house to join us in the backyard. It was pretty alarming to see how easy it was for her to get out of the house because she went out through the garage and found us out back! We both turned our heads and laughed and then sternly told her to never do that again, with as straight of a face as we could muster! Anyways, she helped level out the soil and then when Meadow got up they both helped plant and water the carrot seeds. I have never done anything like this since I am such a city girl, but Patrick learned from his grandparents. I am researching now how to grow carrots, green beans, cucumbers, black beans and cream peas and it is so interesting! I am just as excited as the girls. Here are the pictures I took of our first day.






7 comments:

  1. so fun! you are going to love it, a veggie garden is the thing i anticipate most about the spring. have you read barbara kingsolver's 'animal, vegetable, miracle?' it was like catnip for me to read, had me in fits wanting to move to a farm. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pics! great family project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:09 AM

    What a fun project. It is going to be fun for the girls to watch the garden grow.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So......are the girls on loan?? I am having the hubby and Sea Bee put in a garden plot for me after the fence is finished....and the girls are experienced now.

    Great Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be so much fun and you will learn so much and there is nothing like serving a meal that consist of things you grew. We have learned so much from our years of trying and last year was our most successful. Looking forward to being able to get our garden started this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome. it will be a real treat for the girls to watch it grow (not to mention the time spent outside) I've got a great idea...when the produce comes in, patrick just needs to install a complete kitchen in their playhouse and they can prepare meals for mom and dad right there and bring them in the big house for meal time. food preparation exhaustion solved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome! I love it.

    if you have any questions you know you can just ask scott.

    hope your garden grows!

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!