Tuesday, January 18, 2011

REAL life around here

I thought I would do a picture update about life around here.  Around this crazy house we call home.  Around this home that is in a constant state of chaos.  

Around this home that I am so thankful for and wish I could remember, so that when I see things like this:


I will remember what this image is portraying isn't real life for most people.  Breakfast, with 3 small children, isn't calm and serene.  Real life is about sharing life with the people you love.  Real life is about laughing so hard with friends that tea comes out of your nose tears come streaming down your face.  Like today, as I was leaving a restaurant after having lunch with two good friends, (Jamie and Kathy).  They both also have 3 small children, so let me do the math for you, there were 12 of us.  Oh, and this eating establishment does not have a playground in it, so it was fairly quiet when got there.  All 3 of us have each come to grips with the fact that we are a spectacle, and we joke about having circus music play as we enter.  Because we look something like this:


Our children, for the most part, were well behaved, but the mess they left behind.... was close to catastrophic.  I used to feel bad, and sometimes still do when we leave a restaurant.  But mostly I am just thankful it's not going to be me this meal that has to sweep it all up.  Is that awful or is that normal?  You tell me.  

Anyways, as Jamie and I were each getting ready to back out, in our silver Honda minivans, I know we're a cliche', I looked in the window of the restaurant.  There were already two employees sweeping up the beans and rice that were all over the floor.  I quickly got Jamie's attention by rolling down my window and pointed them out.  And all we could do was laugh.  And laugh and laugh.  I don't know, there was something about seeing those innocent people, behind the glass, sweeping up our huge mess, that made me lose it.  It was like we just pulled off the robbery of the century and we were all escaping in our getaway cars (or minivans).  
it. was. awesome.

Sometimes moments like that are funny, but other times it can be overwhelming when all 3 need me at the same time.  Sometimes I wonder if life will ever slow down.  But then I am reminded to live in the present and that this is what Jesus says real life is all about.  Loving Him and loving people.  I won't always have small children who still need me to tie their shoes and zip up their jackets.  And when I remember that, I get a little teary-eyed.  Because I want to embrace this season whole-heartedly, and I let go of what I "think" is best.  We are called to serve and Jesus clearly states, "Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it" (Matt. 10:39).  That is life.  Forsaking my needs for the needs of others.  And I am thankful that I have 3 little reminders of that truth every day.

Pictures of life around here.  Enjoy.

 
Sisters hugging in front of the crib that they both slept in.  Right before we sold it.  Tear.

 Meadow working on the letter E

 Saige not wanting to take her eyes of her schoolwork to look at the camera for me.

 
Reed looking cute right before he gets into my cabinets.

This is how most people often see this 16 month old - RUNNING!

But Mommy sees him most often like this.  :) 

 Always adorable and wanting to be a princess

 Always funny and wanting to be a princess

 Dressed up before a day with Noni and Papa





This post has been linked up with Raising Homemakers

8 comments:

  1. I am dying over here! You captured that feeling of driving away from the mess perfectly! That mess, my chipotle friends, is a little thing I like to call 'not my problem!' beautiful (and hilarious) post, blog queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of that kitchen! But, yes, you are so right - totally NOT reality!

    I have loved reading your updates and seeing the pics of the kids. Perhaps your new found motivation to blog will inspire me to atleast think about blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dianna8:38 PM

    Such a fun story and such wisdom! Enjoy each day, even when they make you crazy because the day will come when they don't think they need you and you, especially, will be so hurt! They are so adorable and they are so blessed to have you for a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:29 PM

    What you wrote is soooo true. I couldn't quit laughing! Enjoy each and every moment with your kids because I am here to tell you it goes by soooo fast and POOF they are adults! I love you sweetie. You're a great mom and Patrick is a wonderful dad. Savor the time with your children - you'll never regret it! :)

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved it!! When I first saw it, I thought that was you in your kitchen :) Agree and there will someday be a day when my kitchen will be that clean, just not today and probably not tomorrow either.

    Just our family can make that kind of mess when all 10 of us are there and even when everyone is trying hard to keep it together. We limit our Panda Express trips because of the rice ... it gets everywhere!!! Although I don't worry about the mess anymore, cause I figure they mark up the food price significantly and that covers their added expense of cleaning up after us. Think about it ... Chili's sells us a small bowl of Kraft mac-n-cheese for 4.99 but I can make make a box for 80 cents and that is about 2 or 3 bowls.

    You know when you are some where and school bus pulls up with a bunch of laughing, giggling, goofing off students, it is real loud for sometime and then when they all leave it is almost like a vacuum of silence. That is how I feel when we go into or out of a place.

    The pictures are great! Saige, Meadow, and Reed are so cute. Can't wait to see more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen K.10:34 PM

    Thanks for your words...I can totally relate! It is fun to know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:59 PM

    Thats thw whole reason for eating out! Someone else serves your food and cleans your mess. Its beautiful. I was so overwhelmed(the rice and beans were from one of mey sweet angels) I was happy to leave and not look back. Great post! --Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post Cheryl...thanks for the sweet comments on the blog...if you ever want to talk "adoption"...let me know
    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!