Friday, April 15, 2011

Changes Going on Round These Parts

Our 18 (almost 19) month old has been testing my patience, of which I have none, so it has been a little rough here the past month or so. I have come to understand how third borns can be more spoiled than the older siblings. It's because mom and dad are just plain exhausted. We also might be a little more laid back, but mostly just exhausted. I give Reed things just to keep him quiet that I would have never given Saige at her age - like french fries, chicken nuggets, candy, and plastic bags (just kidding).
But let me tell you, I am paying for it. Because he has been ruling this house like a toddler tyrant and I have decided I need to buckle down and make some changes. When he throws a tantrum I tell him, "Nuh uh, boy, you are not the boss. That ain't goin work round here no more." Ok, minus the redneck part, but you get the jest. I am laying down the law. It will work, I assure you. 

The other nignt, he saw that Saige had a cookie after dinner. She had finished her meal, cleared the table and she was allowed to grab a cookie. As she came back to the table, Reed caught sight of it and that was it. Done. Fineto. Dinner was over for him and he refused to finish his food.
We kept telling him, finish your strawberries and then you can have a cookie. I told Patrick that I have noticed that he had been a little anti-strawberry lately (giving Reed the benefit of the doubt), to which Patrick responded, it looks more like anti-obedient. I mean they're strawberries for crying out loud, not asparagus. And then Reed started crying so hard he was doing the hacking-cough-thingy. You know the one where they want to show how committed they are to their cause? It goes something like this: cry, cough, cry, hack, cough, and cry some more until mommy or daddy ask if you're all right and then you quickly stop crying and point to the cookie your big sister is currently devouring. Yeah, he did that. But we didn't give in. We're the grown-ups. We stuck to our guns. Patrick just told him he was all done and took him out of the high chair and we didn't give in. And we've been doing that more often and what do you know? It's actually working. Except for when you go to Mission Burrito and he charms everyone in the place and you feel like an awesome mom and are so proud of yourself, until he throws himself down on the ground right in front of the door because he doesn't want to leave. I was a bit surprised myself, you'd almost think I have never had a child before. I promise you the third makes you feel like they're your first. Overwhelmed, blind-sided, and clueless. Yes, that about sums it up.

I'll leave you with these pictures of Reed and the stinker that he is (was), and granted the pictures are from February, but I think you'll get the idea. And please take note of the blue lollipop, nonetheless. Proof once again of the third born getting a staining, choking hazard because all the bigger kids had one.

Victorious Reed enjoying his lollipop after throwing a tantrum, and thus making Mommy concede.

Blurry, but adorable. Can you see why I give in?

Yes, I am Reed Stinker Wimberly, nice to make your acquaintance.
  
If this isn't a stinker face, then I don't know what is.

Here's my angelic face. Are you happy now?

Mom, are you done? Seriously, give me a break. I am tired of this and I want to go get into something else to make your life even more crazy.


Have a great weekend, y'all!

~cheryl~


    

8 comments:

  1. Yep, he is the little prince. I just happened to marry a baby of the family and after 13 years of knocking all the spoiled baby off him, he's become a REALLY GREAT GUY. btw, I was an oldest child, so, you understand where I'm coming from, right?

    He's ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww but he's a cute little tyrant! Don't feel bad, I think we all do that to some degree with the third born. It makes me wonder what our fourth will be like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! Reece and Audrey totally try to rule the house too! And. I. AM. SOOOOO. EXHAUSTED. but, it's even more tiring when they boss me around. I will pray for you if you pray for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meeka9:44 PM

    I don't know about the blue lollipop, but that Reedster sure is YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. It is tough to stick to it with the third. I am sort of dreading to see how my third acts once she can voice her wants a little more.

    You joke about plastic bags, but I seriously have let mine play with one while I was standing next to her. Please don't report me to CPS, I swear it was a desperate, though supervised moment.

    Good for you guys for holding your ground though. It will eventually pay off. I think...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how totally funny! (Really, I know it's not, but I've been going through the same thing with my Charlotte) I know we need to crack down, but I am so tired by the end of the day and so full of mommy guilt from being away from her all day that I don't. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, he is such a cutie!

    I, too, feel like we have mellowed out more with each child. Not a good thing in the discipline department! Mary Ellen gets away with so much more than Hattie did at her age, and Ben is sure to follow suite. We need to tighten the reins! We don't want one "good" child followed by heathen children ;).

    Reid is so so cute, though, seriously. I could see how it could be really easy just to constantly give into him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is adorable. And I think you are right about parents being simple worn out and exhausted. Even my second born gets more of what she wants just so I can placate her than my first ever would have. Sounds like you are on the right track and I think this post will be very helpful for people struggling with the same things!

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!