Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ironman Texas

It sounds so cliche, but I don't even know where to begin. So I decided I am just going to tell you what the Ironman was like from my perspective and not try to break it down from Patrick's. It was, after all, his race.
The morning started out at 4:30am, in which, of course, thanks to boot camp, I have grown accustomed to. I rode with Patrick's parents, Mark and Brenda to the swim start. We got a little turned around so we barely made it down there in time to see Patrick before he got in the water. But I am so thankful that we did, more for my sake, than his. I told him good luck and that I loved him, etc. And this is where I will digress for a bit... You see, Patrick is a unique personality. If you know anything about personality tests, he is an INTJ (Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging). This personality is apparently rare and knowing about it has  really helped me understand him better. Some of the aspects about this personality is that they highly value efficiency and pragmatic thinking, they do not feel bound by established rules and procedures, and are not impressed by slogans or catchwords. Patrick is internally motivated and while he appreciates the encouragement from others, it will not make or break his race. I had no doubt in my mind that Patrick would finish the race. I know there aren't enough words in the world to change the outcome for him — he was going to finish it because he had put in the time and knew exactly what he needed to do for the race. But I am thankful to have been able to say tell him he was going to do great one last time and I am thankful that his mom got this picture of us. 
Patrick and I before the race began
Jeff, Patrick and Bobby
Chris, Jeff, Patrick, Bobby, Demi, and Jama
(Chris and Demi are married btw - amazing IronCouple!)



After the picture, we headed back to the other side of the bridge to watch the (2.4 mi) swim start. It was crazy and really cool to witness. Patrick said it was by far crazier than he had anticipated and was glad to just get it over with!
All 2200 racers funneling into the water
Patrick is seriously a machine and calculates everything. He is prepared for plan A, but without a second thought will go to Plan B, C or D if need be. One thing he forgot was to put his speedometer on his race wheels the night before. It made it harder for him to stay within the speed that he had planned for which ended up making the marathon much more difficult. Well, he told people that morning, after realizing that he broken his own rule of not showing up at a race with something unchecked or untested, that he was "Doing it wrong, all day long." He didn't panic, he just rolled with it. It was his first Ironman, and he knew that it wasn't going to be perfect.


Finishing the 112 mile ride

Off the bike, headed to transition, and of course with a smile
My smiling Ironman
His support crew
Meadow, Saige and cousin Steven
Running alongside - you know, just doing my part

Whether he meant to or not, he encouraged and inspired me and many others. At one point during the run portion, I turned around and there were nearly 20 people standing there ready to cheer him in on, all sporting Team Patrick shirts. It overwhelmed me at one point and I teared up. I really appreciate each and everyone of you that came out to support my Ironman. It meant a lot to me and to our family.



Two of his biggest fans

Reed and Mimi



I don't have very good pictures from the finish because it was CRAZY crowded. But Brenda got these of Saige with her hand out, waiting to give her Daddy a high-five.




People have often asked me if it was hard on our family with all of the training that he had to do. But I am so thankful to be able to say no. Patrick never let the training get in the way. He never chose training over his family. I never felt like he was skirting responsibility for the sake of the Ironman. In fact, he included us in this choice, and it has been a family affair from the start. He really involved us in this pursuit and was very considerate of how it could take a toll on all of us.  So seeing him cross the finish line and hearing them say, "Patrick Wimberly, you are an Ironman," was so awesome. I screamed and screamed and cried (and the random strangers around me cheered with me when they realized it was my husband - pretty cool). All of that emotion and investment just came bubbling up and overflowed. I was so proud of his achievement because our entire family has been with him along the way. I was so proud to see all that hard work pay off, not just for his sake, but for what it taught me and what it will teach our children. Patrick never wants to waste anything that he has been given and he is an excellent role model. His drive to do his best with his God-given talents, all for God's glory, is what inspires and spurs me on. 

I was totally overwhelmed when he finished.

What does an Ironman do when he's done? He sits.
Maybe a father/son Ironman race in 20 years?

It looks like we're a one child family. Ha!


Love this shot. The girls were so proud of their Daddy.

Needless to say, we are proud of our Ironman. And if he chooses to do another one, I would support him all the way. Even if it means I can get another necklace out of the ordeal.


The gorgeous James Avery necklace Patrick bought me for being his Ironwife



~cheryl~


16 comments:

  1. Cheryl,
    I love the post and the pictures. It was moving to be a part of, just a really sweet few moments we got to assert ourselves into (the finishing of such a long endeavor for your family) I was in the woodlands the other day and it was almost a little sad to be there without all the spandex :) and supportive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pics and the pride you have in your Ironman is beaming through my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your post as always and as usual I am tearing up. Love my family, every last one of you. Loved having everyone at the race supporting Patrick. It was such a fun experience and Cheryl you win the prize for Ironwife SUPPORT. You are a wonderful encourager to your husband. That is a wonderful blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! It was so fun getting to a spectator throughout this process and an honor to be part of Team Patrick :) And I agree with Wendy--the lack of spandex will make The Woodlands a little less special next time I'm there. Good memories for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the kiddos with signs...and love how encouraging and supportive you are to your Ironman :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow. I don't know why, but I started tearing up reading your words. What a fantastic memory you have made. I guess I feel that this post was dripping with the love, joy and how pleased you are with your hubby! Congrats to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay!! Loved reading it and looking at all the pictures. I think I will go work out now. you 5 are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations! what a wonderful accomplishment!! love the photoS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:06 PM

    What a sweet and loving tribute to your husband. You two make a great team! and with the kids included every step of the way, what more could you want! :). Dad & I enjoyed every minute of it and congratulate you both for everything it took to accomplish this milestone! Way to Go!! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Wow. That's amazing. I've run a few 10Ks (one during pregnancy) and that looks completely overwhelming. Great job showing your man the respect!!! Love to see a wife so proud of her husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the post Cheryl. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A-MA-ZING!
    How wonderful and inspiring! Way to go, Patrick! And how delightful to hear a wife gushing about her husband; something that happens far to infrequently.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the support crew and fans....an inspirational post. Thanks for sharing such special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, Cheryl! Congrats to Patrick for becoming an Ironman! And way to go to you for being so supportive every step of the way. Loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cried a little when I saw the picture of you crying. What a stunning accomplishment this is.

    I'm an INTP--though I don't remember what the P stands for. I just remember it was a really odd combination. Does this mean I too can be an Iron(wo)man? I don't think so. Maybe the P stands for Paltry or Pitifully lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an accomplishment, I'm in awe!!

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!