My first born. My first daughter. My mini-me.
My sensitive one. My studious one. My nurturing one.
The one that also keeps me up at night.
The one I worry I will harden. Because I am too hard on her.
The daughter that brings me to my knees, because I am afraid we're too alike.
The worst in me, I fear, will be handed down to her.
The perfectionism. The impatience. The sins of the mother.
And while I am well aware, by God's grace, of my own growth, my own refinement,
I want to give her a healthy foundation as early as possible.
I want to give her the tools to control her range of emotions;
Healthy ways to steer those tumultuous feelings.
I want her to be strong. To be decisive. To be passionate and compassionate.
To have a clear sense of who she is — in Christ.
Lord, help me to see her with the eyes of my heart and not my head.
Make me mindful of the ways that I can teach her.
Of the ways that I can pray for her tender spirit.
Remind me that she is not me and that she is who You created her to be.
Help me to not assume, presume or conclude too quickly.
Teach me to be slow to parent speech and quick to really listen.
Grant me the wisdom to see her.
To stop and truly see her.
To see the one you are shaping.
The one you are pursuing.
The one you love more than I could ever fathom.
Give me the grace to parent her well,
To love her deeply, and raise her in a way that honors You.
O, Lord, may it be so.







Oh my, dear. This is one of those times that I would love to have your phone number so I could dial it and say, "oh, I know."
ReplyDeleteOh, I know, sweet one. And I know because I could have written this myself -- the same fears, the same reminders, the same plight.
And, now, we learn together.
yes, I agree with it all!!... Our hearts ache with it all!. May we truly see as He sees - not always easy this side of heaven! As we catch glimpses of our children's tomorrows, there is comfort and hope in knowing that he holds them in his hands.... he is in their futures.... he has already been there. Thank goodness :)
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWe all have the same fears as mothers...don't we?
Maria
Once over breakfast with my pastor's wife, I was confessing to all of my mommy faults. I thought she'd be shocked or disappointed. Instead, she said, "You're children will learn more from your mistakes and how you deal with them than they will from you're being perfect." I'll never forget that piece of advice...you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorites Cheryl...
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for posting this today. Oh, how I needed this! We are in a boat together! (Only my daughter is 12, so i also have hormones to deal with.)
ReplyDeleteDana @Calverette Chronicles
http://calverettechronicles.blogspot.com/
Beautiful Cheryl! Such a sweet and heartfelt post!
ReplyDeletebeautiful girl and i love her name:)
ReplyDeleteI'm visiting from Jen's. How MANY times have I prayed things like this for my children..and still do!
Just beautiful:)
xo
Love this.
ReplyDeleteI love the intentionality and the rawness and the beauty.
My favorite line? "Lord, help me to see her with the eyes of my heart and not my head."
Rachel
Jen - yes, thank you for your kind words and for your understanding.
ReplyDeleteKay - yes, there is definitely comfort in knowing that He has her heart in His hands.
Maria - I know, there is definitely a tie that binds.
"journeytoepiphany" - Oh, this is encouraging. Thank you.
Dawn - not looking forward to hormones. not one tiny bit.
Thank you, Kara, Leslie, Tiffani and Rachel for taking the time to leave a comment. It encourages my heart.
big smiles. lovely post...what a gift to truly see someone as well...should pray that more often...dads are not without similar fears as well...
ReplyDeleteYour daughter is adorable. And blessed to have a mom who wants so earnestly to parent her well and seeks God's wisdom and help in the process.
ReplyDeleteLove the Lewis quote in your header!
Me too! I am scared to death for my children to walk in my shoes. I'm also scared to death that I may subconsciencely force them into them out of my fears.
ReplyDeleteIt is such an encouragment to see when God's dealing with other mothers in this same way. I have written from the same heart lately. I appreciate your words!
to be who He created them to be...oh yes...this is also my prayer for my children, grandchildren...
ReplyDeleteAll for GOD,
Connie
oh yes, Lord, may it be so... what a beautiful post, friend... the cry of every mother's heart... and it's these wounds that make us healers.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is so with you! These precious gifts that were entrusted to us are such a responsibility. The emotion is overwhelming.
ReplyDeletechildren are such blessings.
ReplyDeleteI found you through Casey's linkup and I am now following :)
http://resourcefulred.blogspot.com
She's adorable! I love seeing your heart on your sleeve in this post - beautiful!
ReplyDeletebeautiful beautiful post. love this sweetness mama!!!
ReplyDeleteWHAT A CUTIE! Just found your blog and am totally diggin it :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful tribute to who your daughter is and the plans God has for her. God gave her the best momma -- the one she's like -- the one who loves her like none other.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Cheryl. I feel so similar with Hattie.......
ReplyDeleteI love this! These are my same fears and my same desires with my mini-me, hard-headed daughter. I just pray that things that make her seem impossible now are the same things that will make her strong, decisive, and compassionate later.
ReplyDelete