

Lent is upon us. Ash Wednesday was this past week, which marks the beginning of the Lenten season. I love this time of year, I love the idea of preparing for the death and resurrection of Christ. I love spring and everything turning green again and the all the flowers blooming. In the past, I haven't wanted to give up anything for Lent because I always fail and end up feeling guilty. But Patrick reminded me that it is supposed to be hard, it is supposed to make me question the things I take for granted and the things that waste my time. So, this year Patrick and I decided to give up T.V. and he is also giving up meat and I am giving up soda. The choice to give up T.V. has been hard but so good. It has made me think of my day differently and even if I don't have more time in my mind I feel as if I do. In reality though I have had more time and it has been refreshing. Take for instance the tulips in the pictures. I planted those with my own two hands, something I love to do but never seem to find the time. Granted, both girls cooperated and took naps at the same time and the weather was perfect so it all worked out, but not having T.V. seemed to make the choice easier for me to go outside and actually plant them. And the exciting thing is, hopefully those tulips will be back next spring. I will keep my expectations low since I am not a green thumb, but I am hopeful.
cheryl = i got your birth announcement card in the mail today - thanks! is that your company? the laughing luna designs? the card is beautiful! and so are your girls! you're right - a lot has changed for all of us - i still remember our jogs in the endowment lands and training for that half marathon....oh when we had time to ourselves eh?! now getting out for any 30 min jog requires a lot more effort and organization. but we're mamma's and it's worth it. miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteflowers...spring...really? it just snowed half a foot here last night. i had no idea spring was happening in other parts of the world :) oh happy days when green returns to Boston!
ReplyDeletehi cheryl, i'll be praying for your lent promises...
ReplyDeleteif you'll pray for me, i gave up sweets, argh!
seriously though, i bet you'll find so much more time and space without TV... you may never go back.
we didn't! blessings amiga,
~j~
TV...that's a great one to give up. It would be hard for me...but like Patrick said, that's the point. I'll be praying for y'all. The flowers and girls look beautiful!
ReplyDeletethe flowers are beautiful. an absolutely perfect place to take a few outside pictures of the girls (*hint hint* :o)
ReplyDeletesure would be interested to hear more about how things are going without the TV. we go periods of time without turning on the TV but haven't made it that long. i notice a definite difference in the 'tone' of our home when the TV stays off.