Tuesday, September 30, 2008

rockin' my socks off


I have been reading The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul with the women's group at our church. And it has been rockin my socks off! I just finished chapter 6 this morning and let me just say Wow! Sproul is able to bring some pretty heavy subjects down to a level that I can digest and it has been so good. He talks about how when bad things happen in the Bible or in life we are so quick to accuse God of injustice. And he explains that is impossible, God is only capable of being just and of showing mercy. We all deserve death, ultimately that is justice, but the fact that we wake up each morning with air in our lungs is mercy. We think we deserve more grace, which he says in of itself is an oxymoron because grace is given to those who don't deserve it. We take His grace for granted and shout out at the heavens when bad things happen or when we don't get all of our wants met. I have "known" these facts before, but His truth was so fresh and clear this morning. I am thankful to have my perspective changed. I am thankful to realize that I can't take His grace for granted. So, let us remember as believers, that our hope is in Christ; let us stand firm in the faith that we have.
"But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame." I Peter 3:14-16

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Cheryl! Sounds like a must-read. Isn't it extra wonderful to receive fresh revelations of God's goodness as a MOM?? I know I need it more desperately than any other time in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your new pictures and layout look great!! I have been working on changing mine up also but am stilling learning and messing with the html codes and such. Trying it out on my other blog first.

    I haven't read the book you mentioned but have another by him that is on my list to read. It sure does look good ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cheryl-
    i can't tell you how great it was to see your comment! your girls are amazing-simply beautiful. in fact, all of you are. i would love to catch up with you...what's your email?

    love,
    stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord! I am so glad that He is teaching you through that book. He is good. I love that He is the author and perfector of our faith. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!