Monday, October 27, 2008

precious

I have been thinking a lot about big families. My friends and I have had some good discussions about this and how we should be open to what God has for your family and that might not look like the Duggars, but the point is to be willing to listen to what God has planned and to not start making plans about what your family will look like. I am not suggesting that there is a magic number and then you are in God's will. I am just saying that we need to trust that God knows the number and trust in that.
Anyways, I came across a link to this article on one of my favorite blogs, Making Home, and I just had to comment on it. This absolutely infuriates me. If you don't have time to read the whole thing, then here are two quotes below.
Lily Tomlin said, "Forget individual families. The human family is too big and getting bigger. There are too many of us humans on our planet and, unfortunately, even individually we are growing bigger. And the bigger the number and size, the more resources used and the more waste produced. There are too many of our family members already living lives of bare substance. We need a global effort to reduce population and to develop sustainable energy sources."
"We need a global effort to reduce population..." I am assuming she means abortion. And then this lady actually brings up God and the Bible. I think she forgot to read God's commandment in Genesis 1:28 though where it says, "God blessed them and said to them, 'Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.'"
Mary Wells said, "So as much I sympathize with people wanting children I think – for children's sake – the time has come to put the limitations of our earth ahead of anything else and to wake up and join in the movements that are growing to learn how to live a new wide-awake way in a new environment aware that a lot of the disappearing earth wealth is disappearing because of each one of us. We could start with smaller families needing less of the earth's resources. There are so many references to God's displeasure with selfishness in the Bible – whatever God turns out to be – we should all be able to show a list of our unselfish choices that saved humans, animals and life of all kinds – and in this world at this time large families are selfish choices that are everybody's business and everybody's problem."
It is so upsetting because what they say is so attractive right now and may seem "right" to some people. Everyone is talking about saving the environment. Look, don't get me wrong, I think we all need to do our part in protecting God's creation. But I will be honest, if everyone in Hollywood is on board with something then I am going to take a second look at how they got to their conclusions. And when protecting the environment starts to become something that we can do, as if we are going to save the earth, that is when I have a problem. When people start saying things that are not biblical, then as believers we need to make sure we know what we believe and why. These women assert that people need to start having smaller families so that we don't use up all the resources on our planet and thereby end the world. Wow. Stop having children so we can stop producing waste. Wake up and stop having children, which are a blessing from the Lord, so we can stop adding the waste that is collecting on earth. Does anyone else think this is absurd? Are people actually buying into this? Does this sadden anyone else?? Has there been another revelation from God that says to not increase and multiply?
I am thankful I believe in a God that loves His creation. All of it. I am thankful I believe in a God that is sovereign and knows how this earth will come to an end. And I am thankful that He has a plan for His Son to return to establish a new heaven and a new earth (Rev 21:1). I am thankful that even though we are to be good stewards of His creation, He does not need me to protect it.

6 comments:

  1. I really am in agreement with you. God made this glorious earth that we live on and HE is full of surprises around us. None of us are the Duggars, but we all glorify him in other ways. No one is the same and that is just fine.
    Thank you for the reminder!
    ~Elyse~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Completely Agreed.

    With the whole environment - there's a line that's been crossed between taking care of our world and worshipping creation, not the Creator.

    And I strongly believe that it's very important to keep my marriage open to life and to view children as a blessing, not a burden. Birth control creates a slippery slope that leads to so many sins and problems in our society.

    This is a hot topic with me so there's my 2 cents! Thanks for posting this, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a comment last night and it didn't go through so I am going to try again ... but it is late so it may be much shorter.

    Family size is certainly a hot topic these days and everyone has there own opinion. We absolutely do, but it is an opinion we have formed based on our family and what we believe scripture tells us. I would never dream of assuming our plan is someone else's plan also.

    I do get frustrated with the whole environment thing. It is very probable that those women in the interview have private jets, limos and enormous houses and therefore have a much, much bigger 'carbon footprint' then our family of eight.

    My favorite line in the post is the last one ... 'He does not NEED me to protect it'

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay .. maybe it wasn't that short :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Cheryl. I am definetly among the people that are adding to the earth. I think you did such a good job tackling the issue of stewardship of the earth vs. overprotecting the earth over people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Absoutely ridiculous. I think is a little inconsistent to refer to us all as a 'global family' and then talk about how we need to get rid of some family members because there are too many. Is that how you treat family. Today there is no shortage of food and resources for all of our 'family', the true problem is getting resources to those that need it. So maybe she should be leading humanitiarian efforts to feed the hungry and clothe the poor instead. Sounds like she would rather maintain her own standard of living than truly help others: "Stop having children, people! You are taking away form *my* much-needed resources!"

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!