Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sin is Never the Only Option

Ever since I wrote this post, I have been chewing on the meaning of this verse from 1 Corinthians:
"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13
I think this is the verse that people take and misuse the phrase: "God will never give you more than you can handle." But as I stated in the previous post, this verse says nothing about circumstances, it clearly states that you will not be tempted beyond what you can handle. So what does that look like in real life. What are the sort of temptations Paul is talking about? In context, he is reminding the Corinthians of how the Israelites had been an idolatrous, grumbling nation and a lot of the letter was written to rebuke the Corinthians for their selfishness and unwillingness to put others first. He is encouraging them to remember that in their temptation, God, who is faithful, will provide the strength to escape it. Sin will never be the only option for those who are in Christ. When I used to read this verse, I would read temptation and think "big sins," like stealing or lying. But it wasn't until recently, the Lord showed me that it's also talking about our temptation to subtler sins, such as, selfishness, pride and envy. The Corinthians were tempted to only think of themselves and I can surely relate to that.
I can easily fall into the day to day grumbling and complaining. "My life is so hard," "I never get any sleep," "I just want to have an adult conversation," "Can I just pee by myself for once in 5 years?!" But I am rebuked and encouraged again and again by this verse. The temptation to get frustrated with my kids for not obeying, for talking back, for just being kids and asking 1,000 questions a day is not beyond what I can endure with the help of the Holy Spirit. The temptation to cling to "my rights" and to what "I deserve," passes when I stop and ask Jesus for help. And I remember Jesus' words, that those who lose their life for His sake will find it (Mat. 10:39). So this has been my prayer as of late:
"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead..." Ephesians 1:18-20
In Christ, I am not tempted beyond what I can bear. Praise Jesus.

 





  

7 comments:

  1. Cheryl, thank you for visiting my blog! I host a weekly linky party every Thursday called Beautiful Thursdays where you can post just about anything (within reason of course).

    You have a beautiful blog! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, thank you for encouraging me through your blog! Have a blessed day and enjoy your babies! They are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. yes, yes, yes. it's Christ in us, working in and through us, to resist temptations as they come. great stuff!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post! I especially loved the part about how sin is not the only choice for those who are in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great post, Cheryl. That is definitely something I need to remember too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do need to keep our eyes open to the many ways we sin that are not always so obvious. I'm guilty of that! :) And of course, we have many ways to avoid the sin altogether! A lot to chew on here, Cheryl! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amen amen, friend. thanks for this rich encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!

It's sort of like a love language of mine. So please leave me one!