
On page 3 today of the Houston Chronicle was an article about a man dying in a Wal-Mart stampede in a suburb in New York. Here is another version of the article if you would like the complete story. The 34 yr old man was a temporary worker that was standing at the sliding doors just before they opened at 5am. The shoppers waiting outside literally smashed down the doors and trampled over the man. "When the madness ended, 34-year-old Jdimytai Damour was dead and four shoppers, including a woman eight months pregnant, were injured." Can you believe this? Apparently people didn't stop and wanted to get in to still shop. "They pushed him down and walked all over him," Damour's sobbing sister, Danielle, 41, said.
This is so appalling and unfortunately, I think, is an accurate depiction of Black Friday. Even though it is a rare occurence, it shows the darkness of consumerism. At church and amongst friends, we have been discussing ways to celebrate the holidays differently. As believers, we are set apart and we need to truly honor Christ during this season and not just give it lip service. Patrick and I have been talking about ways to pass down traditions to our girls. One way is that we won't be telling them about Santa. But we will be telling them that it is Jesus' birthday. Even at 2, Saige already understands that birthdays mean presents. I want her to associate that the gifts at Christmas time are for Jesus. So one way we are going to do that is by getting involved with Heifer International. Check out their website to learn more. Also, watch this video about Advent Conspiracy... it is worth your time! Tell me ways your family might celebrate Christmas differently this year.
Angela has been saying instead of presents to each other, we could pool our gift money together and make a donation to a charity. This might work if everyone did it, but I'd feel bad if we gave our money to charity and everyone bought us gifts. I feel that if someone gives me a gift I should give one back...
ReplyDeleteAnyways, just an idea....
As for the man that died, I read the article in our paper the other day... very sad... but a lesson none the less. You never know when it's going to be your time, so be ready.
"Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely."
How everything is commercialized is really disgusting!! And now we have to add frightening (literally). I remember the cabbage patch craze and didn't understand it then and don't understand the crazy 'must-haves' now.
ReplyDeleteIt took us a few years but we have found that balance that is comfortable and brings peace to the season ... for us. We do invite Santa into our holiday around here but it works for us. We include helping others as much as possible (all year). There is a graciousness in accepting gifts as well as giving them. Our hope is that we are teaching this by having them spend time making or saving for each other. It is fun to watch them plan and prepare a gift for their sister or brother. The anticipation for the giver is equally 'edge of the seat' exciting as it is for the receiver.
We tend to focus our giving more locally. I get paranoid sending money to something we aren't very familiar with, there is no way to truly now if the money is going where they say. We have thought of several local projects we will be doing this holiday and are excited about them. Most of them are more acts of service.
We actually made alot of changes over the past few years to accommodate our changing family. Have settled on a plan for this 'season' of our family life. I anticipate making more changes as the older girls get married and our family grows.